My Photo
Name:
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina, United States

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Man's Best Friend


I used to think I knew what it felt like to be a dog owner - my family has always had dogs, I grew up around them, I was partially responsible for them and I loved them. However, I recently became the soul owner a new 6 mo. puppy, and let me tell you, trying to compare having a "family dog" to having a dog that is 100% yours is like trying to compare a poster of a Rembrandt to the original painting. As much as it may seem like it initially, they're not the same AT ALL!!!

My puppy's name is Addie, and she's a pure-bred Rottweiler that I adopted from a family whose homeowners assoc. in their neighborhood decreed that they would not allow a Rottie (deemed a "dangerous dog" by many groups) to live there. Now I'm not judging, but if it had been me, than there would have been a lawsuit before I gave up my dog, but I'm stubborn like that I guess. Anyway, point being - I could not be happier that things worked out the way they did! I've wanted a Rottie for as long as I can remember, and now at long last, I have one. Lots of people ask me "Why a Rottie? Why do you love a dog that has such a bad reputation?" My initial answer is that the rep. is completely undeserved. Rotties are NOT bad dogs...they are not inherantly mean nor are they overly aggressive unless they are specifically brought up to be that way by the people who raise them. The characteristics of Rotties that have been well bred and well brought up are that they're loyal, confident, protective of their family and very curious. You can see how easily these traits could be twisted to produce a dangerous dog - but sadly most people who fear Rottweilers feel that they are dangerous from the moment they're born until the moment they stop breathing, and this just simply isn't the case.

Now, aside from all that, one of the reasons I ADORE the breed is that they ARE somewhat mis-understood, and when you walk down the street, people who don't know any better DO give you a wide berth (I've had several people go so far as to cross the street when they saw me walking Addie), or at the very least, a second glance. Call it juvenile if you want, but that entertains me - though I'm usually inclined to have the person come over and say hello to her, just so they can see how wrong they are. On top of that, Rotties are smart, and when I say smart I mean this is probably the most intelligent dog I have ever come across, and I have seen A LOT of dogs in my life. Then there is the whole protection thing - while Addie does NOT have an aggressive personality, if we're at home she will not hesitate to growl if she sees or smells something she doesn't think is right. It's never been directed at a person, and she doesn't bark incessantly - it's usually a low growl, or one quick 'woof' if she thinks something is wrong, but then that's it. After that she'll just 'wait and see' but I have no doubt that if she thought anything was seriously wrong, she wouldn't hesitate to act. It's a nice feeling, and very difficult balance to achieve in breeds other than Rotties, Shepherds and a few others.

So aside from just loving the breed, as I said earlier there is so much difference between associating with dogs, and actually OWNING your own. I love this silly dog more than I have ever loved any dog in my entire life, and find myself willingly and happily doing things that used to consider chores w/other pets, such as brushing, walking, training, etc. etc. etc. Now I find myself talking to her as I would a person, playing games with her, teaching her things and really wanting her to succeed. She for her part loves to get me to play, follows me from room to room, is always happy to see me, and tries SO hard to do what she thinks will make me happy. It's amazing. The bond between dog and owner is a special feeling, and until now I've missed out on it. Now days things are different...I have a new member in my family, and I honestly could not be happier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home